Thursday, August 10, 2006

Day 2 ~ Friday 7/28 ~ Arrival in Beijing

Dear Friends & Family ~

We've arrived safe, sound & happy in Beijing ~ we need to stay here overnight and we leave on a shuttle at 7.30am to go back to the airport for our next flight to Chengdu (2.5 hours west) and then a 3 hour van ride south to Luxian. We had some challenges with our flights that turned into major blessings for 6 of us (who were"bumped" up to business class since our seats in economy had been given away). It was such a reminder that God is God, especially in the challenges of our lives!

On our arrival, some went to bed, some ate dinner at the hotel, and four of us walked several blocks around the hotel ~ it was such a neat experience. This city is a cross between London & New York.There are lots of parks with adult size playground equipment to exercise and we came across two open-air squares that were lit up with dancing. There are lots of people and all seem to be engaging in life but without smiles. The humidity is high but the temperature not too hot. A drumstick ice cream is about 20 cents. I'm struggling a bit already with dehydration because of my hesitancy to drink even the bottled water ... I need to get over that!

The team is awesome, the hotel is very nice this first night (our one night in nice digs with air conditioning perhaps!) We took in a 10 minute swim before the pool closed. We appear to be oddities to the Chinese who call us long noses (I understand!)... I don't think we stare at foreigners in the same way they have been staring at us.

I have been pondering what it would be like if a Chinese person who spoke no English came to America to tell me about their God ... and the only way that I could consider entertaining such a discussion would be if they had been developing a relationship with me andsomething about them was keenly special. Our camp is designed to be just that ~ two English classes in the morning, lunch together, afternoon activities together (there are five activity groups -sports, board games, drama, singing, and line dancing ... Ryan is on sports and I'm on board games), then dinner together.

And our team seems to have the kind of "wonder" that is winsome ... the love, joy and peace of Christ is throughout our hearts and interactions ~ and for that we are greatly blessed :~)

Thank you for your love and support!

Love to you all, Sherrie

No comments: