Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Great Wiki Day ...

Today's Main Page of Wikipedia is awesome in that....
The lead article is on a cool number theory, namely that 0.999... = 1

And the picture of the day is of
Horseshoe Bend,
Of course, if you click the Main Page link later than today,
you'll get a whole different lead article and a new picture ...
(but I suppose that's not all bad either!
)
.
In order to retain the links to .999 & the bend
I've also included direct links above to those articles in Wiki.
.
Enjoy & Ponder,
Sherrie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know this is how i see it

10(.999)=9.99
10(1)=10

1000(.999)=999
1000(1)=1000

The limit as x approaches 1 from the left of x^2 is greater than the limit as x approaches .999 from the left of x^2

Ryan said...

sorry that was me mom! ha i guess I'm one of those students who rejects the inequality.

Sherrie said...

I blew it!

The argument that 0.999...=1 is based on the "..." part of the equation ... and I left the "..." out of the equation on my original post (now since fixed with three little blue dots :)

... nonetheless ...

I like your equations and demonstration of applicability of a premise ~ gotta' love that good ol' American Education that teaches not only Facts & Knowledge, but also How to Think!

Much love to you,
Mom