I heard someone say that "Wit" is a movie that everyone should watch. So I put it on our netflix queue and we watched it last night. If you haven't lately had the experience of thinking about how we are all facing death, and therefore contemplating yourself and choices in light of your definition of the meaning of life, then this is a movie you'll want to see. Just have your kleenex box close.Here's the netflix.com write-up: "Emma Thompson stars as Vivian Bearing, a disciplined, esteemed English professor dealing with a sensitive issue -- her health. After being diagnosed with ovarian cancer, Vivian is forced to reassess her life and decide what's really important. Wit also tells the stories of the people Vivian touches, including her healthcare team."
One of the 90 reviewers (almost all five stars) wrote, "A painful tour de force about dying. But I highly recommend it for anyone who is going to do it. It was a movie that I will always remember, and value."
2 comments:
My hope is that this is a fiction story, and NO ONE is treated like that by any of their healthcare team.
That's what saddened me :~(
Sandy
The research doctors were awful, weren't they? But Dr. Bearing's nurse was very special and I felt the real hero of the story.
What saddened me more than the docs clinical approach however, was the main character's aloneness through her life and this final struggle. No family, no friends, no one to love or be loved by ... her brilliance had locked her into a world of academia and had locked her out of her own heart :~(
Post a Comment