I've scheduled and avoided a few mammograms since hitting the big 4-0, but this Fall in my Wednesday morning bible study, Nancy in our small group took on the cause of women getting in for their mammos ~ THINK PINK. This is because when she had her mammo in February, it was followed by lumpectomies, chemo, radiation and tamoxifen treatments due to breast cancer, and for pete's sake, she's younger than me!
So ... with the love and encouragement of Nancy and the other gals in my small group, I made an appointment with Dr Primary Care Physician just to talk about my fears of getting a mammo and what other options I might have. Fears you say? Sherrie afraid? What's that about? Well, as I explained to my doctor, since the multi-year chest injury and pain I suffered from running up a mountainside when Drew got stranded in a pickle in the Fall of 2000 (a long, whole-other, God-saved-Drew-and-Dave story), I'm quite fearful of having my non-boobs squeezed resulting in damage to my chest wall. And since I don't have breasts, why should I worry about breast cancer anyway? When Dr PCP gave the obligatory response that even men get breast cancer, I shared with her that was not a convincing reason for me since I have seen plenty of men with breasts larger than mine (go ahead admit it, you have, too ;) In any event, I discovered that no, there are no other effective screening tools; yes, I must go through with it; and yes, she would be happy to prescribe a pill to help with the pain and anxiety as long as I had a driver.
And thus on December 18th, the gals from my small group joined me for a trip to Kaiser for my first mammography, followed by a luscious Christmas brunch at our home. We had a blast and Nancy was right, having something to look forward to afterward made the ordeal much better. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures with my friends Nancy, Julie, Lori & Emily and our lovely meal that day (that regret is what triggered my post about 1000 words!) but we sure did have a special time together.
Fast forward to December 24th, Christmas Eve, the phone rings and it's Dee from the call center. "Sherrie, I am calling to schedule another mammography with additional views. Our first available appointment is January 9th can you make it?" Just my luck, huh? I respond, "Sure... and Dee, can you tell me why I need to come back in?" She replied, "No, I just have this note to call and schedule." I found myself in disbelief that a call like this with no answers or insight would be made on Christmas Eve. "Please have the radiologist call me, thanks, and Merry Christmas" is all I can muster aloud.
A moment ago Dr Radiologist called me in reply to my request. He said 10% of gals get called back in after their first mammos for additional views and for me it is due to calcifications in my right breast. He does not have a particularly high suspicion of cancer and thinks it is most likely that there is a stable group of calcifications that they will just monitor over time - but because it's my first mammo, they need to take some additional views to make sure that it doesn't look like anything else. I've found myself particularly un-worried about this being anything serious (what's the worse to expect, a mastectomy? would I even notice? I mean really?) but I do find the whole process curious. Go figure, of all the people to get a call back, it would be me. Graciously, Dr. PCP has already called in another valium tab for the 2nd squeezing.
Appreciating your prayers and love,
.............Sherrie
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment