Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Weekend ...

Friday night, after winding up lots of work at my desk and washing the stinker dogs,
Dave and I sat out front at the top of the driveway with his garage stereo playing big tracks
(Dave is really loving having garage music through Drew's old stereo which Drew recently gifted back to us)
And we just connected and enjoyed each other and life.

Saturday morning I arose early to take Anna to the airport after her 2 week stay.
It is really something to think that it has been 10 years since she was our au pair... wow.
Sarah wrote a great post about our evening together on Thursday and I was so blessed
to be able to laugh and laugh again about the amusement we found in one another that night :)

I spent the rest of Saturday in my office working, getting organized, and working.
Then at 3pm it was time for a shower and a trip to the wine store & grocery store...
All this time, Dave worked digging out old caulk & old stain
and putting in new caulk in the main upstairs bathroom shared by many boys
(which combined with the new baseboards he added this past week, now looks brand new :)

It was a great night for Spanish wines & tapas at John & Michelle's home (Rocky's parents)
I made quite the creation and loved it so much I thought I better capture it in a post as I'd surely forget.
1lb flake-style fish crab meat, 2 avocados, 1 pound swiss cheese, small bunch of green onions, orange bell pepper, small can of sliced olives rinsed and drained -- cube all ingredients, sprinkle with cayenne pepper, and mix with mayonnaise. Serve with little bread slices or crackers.

When we got home we watched the first 2 episodes of season 3 of The Closer.
We've really been enjoying this show on netflix DVD rentals,
so were pleasantly surprised that these episodes were even better than the first two seasons.
Only Trey turning off the TV kept us from getting into episode 3 at 11pm!

This morning we had a great Sunday School class while the kids were at youth group
Followed by a quick meeting about the youth group summer adventure to California
and then a wonderful full service in the sanctuary.
The morning was filled with lots of God-moments for me ... starting with
my early-morning reading of Psalm 139 even before anyone in the house had stirred.

We were disappointed that Joon's Mongolian BBQ was not open on Sunday for lunch
(which their door sign had teased this past week, "Now Open Sundays")
So we found our solace in favorite hot dogs at the Home Depot stand
Followed by awesome ice cream creations at Cold Stone.

This afternoon in what can only be called out-of-character, I've relaxed and read,
finishing "Then We Came to the End" a recent novel by Joshua Ferris. It was highly rated
and I picked it up at the airport on a recent trip home from Harrisburg. I am longing
for my new "Kindle" electronic book-reader (which awaits wrapped for my birthday)
and I think this may have been my last "hard copy" book in awhile.
Dave's digging old caulk, scrubbing shower doors, and recaulking Trey's bathroom.
We are so blessed to have him caring for us so loyally year after year.

The big kids have been working (Drew & Friese) like maniacs at the Office store
While the little kids (Trey & Sean) have been super enjoying summer ... the latest pastime
is catching bunnies in big nets, loving on them a bit, then relocating them to open space.
Tonight we get to go share our dear friend Sandy's joy at her first grandchild
and celebrate Carter's arrival with his parents who have journeyed down from Seattle.

Life is good, God is awesome, faith isn't always easy.
And His love endures forever, Sherrie

1 comment:

Keri said...

I love music in the garage, too. And I'm going to write down the recipe right now! I love you, Miss Sher. And Dave, too, for taking such care of you. Will you ask him if he is available for my shower/caulk?