A quote...
"Freedom does not always mean going. In the thicker life, in fact, freedom often means staying. That’s certainly true of the Christian understanding of marriage. Staying with one partner over a lifetime opens me up to the goodness of God in a way that serial monogamy doesn’t. Church is another place where freedom means staying. That seems counter-intuitive, given scripture’s emphasis on the kingdom of God and its global enterprise. With both church and marriage, in a culture of options, I choose not to move. I stay rooted in community, because only in a place where I’m free not to leave can I find the “personal” in so-called personal relationship with God. This practice is all about staying in relationships when everything inside me screams to pack up my hurt feelings and find a more ideal community."-- David L. Goetz
"Freedom does not always mean going. In the thicker life, in fact, freedom often means staying. That’s certainly true of the Christian understanding of marriage. Staying with one partner over a lifetime opens me up to the goodness of God in a way that serial monogamy doesn’t. Church is another place where freedom means staying. That seems counter-intuitive, given scripture’s emphasis on the kingdom of God and its global enterprise. With both church and marriage, in a culture of options, I choose not to move. I stay rooted in community, because only in a place where I’m free not to leave can I find the “personal” in so-called personal relationship with God. This practice is all about staying in relationships when everything inside me screams to pack up my hurt feelings and find a more ideal community."-- David L. Goetz
(i'm fortunate about not having had the "everything inside me scream to pack up" sensations, but i do think it takes a level of commitment and love to stay with things... to remain committed in patience, gentleness, hope, and faith ~ even when the times are tough. And I think there are great blessings to be found in the depth of relationship that comes with lots and lots of time and integrated experiences and memories. love you all! sherrie)
1 comment:
I like it, too. "Stay the course" as our dear, past President would say.
Post a Comment