In the past, I've ventured to ask my guys if they'd like to do something different for a change on Thanksgiving, but whenever I have, the answer all around is, "NO!"
So this special day always looks the same and the tradition goes unbroken. As always, this year we had a huge turkey; stuffing made from apricots, almonds, hot italian sausage, onions, celery & plenty of butter; mashed potatoes beat with butter, cream cheese, & sour cream; yams baked with butter, brown sugar, & marshmellow; green bean casserole with french onions; and corn with onions, celery, bacon, & sour cream. The boys drank egg nog, Dave & I had wine (an australian shiraz this year), and Ryan & Drew ate the turkey legs. Dinner is timed for half-time of the afternoon football game. Pumpkin cheesecake comes later in the evening (but we haven't yet cut into it!)
There were some great enhancments to the traditional feast this year, beyond having a shiraz instead of riseling ;-) The reason the guys like to stay home is for:
1. The traditional dinner
2. Sleeping in
3. Football
4. Friends
The food & sleep were great as always :~) but it was the football and friends parts that were especially wonderful this year.
The BRONCOS played the Cowboys in the traditional Thanksgiving 2pm game from Dallas. And our Bronco's won 24-21 in overtime (taking just two plays to score). Woo hoo! What a game, especially for Ryan who celebrated, or grieved, most of the plays. That takes them to a 9 win - 2 loss record for the year. We splurged this summer and bought tickets for the Broncos-Colts game on Dec 11th and the Broncos-Raiders game on Dec 24th, so the guys are pretty pumped about this rocking season and the upcoming games in person.
And the FRIENDS were many this Thanksgiving, including a visit from our new neighbor's puppy Winston (and family & friends), all the younger kids in the neighborhood playing, a younger kid sleepover, and visits with Ryan & Drew's girlfriends. We also visited on the phone with my mom in Tucson and Aunty Cris, Charlie, Grandpa & Char in San Diego.
And Dave and I had SPECIAL thanks for 20 years of marriage ~ because yes indeed, it was our 20th anniversary as well. Taa Daa!!Life is SO good ~ Thank you God!
2 comments:
Dear Sherrie, This is great, I really enjoyed it. Doing a great job as usual. Also picture is great. I want one Please.
Love, Mother
Moms ~ I just sent you an e.mail with the digital photo :~) Gobble, gobble! Sherrie
Post a Comment